We’re having a bake sale at the office and I wanted to bring in something different from the usual brownies or chocolate chip cookies. I worked every single bake sale when my kids were in elementary school. Sometimes I coordinated the whole sale, and sometimes I just volunteered to help sell goodies. Either way, anytime there was a bake sale at school, you could be sure I would be involved in it somehow.
Funny thing, I remember the number one item that disappeared almost as soon as the bake sale began were the donuts. Glazed especially. We never had any donuts leftover. They sold out so fast! It got so that when I would ask for donations of baked goods for a bake sale, I always made sure to ask for several dozen donuts. They were so very popular with all the kids. The more “exotic” baked goods were always slower to move.
It’s the opposite with adults, however. I’m finding that the fancier items move really well at adult bake sales. Things like espresso bars and rum balls. So back to what I was originally saying, I wanted to make something different for the bake sale we were having at work. I found this recipe online for a Brownie Dessert which of course I had to tweak and make my own. Boy, were they good! And best of all, they sold like hotcakes! …..or should I say donuts?
BROWNIE PUDDING BARS
- 2 boxes brownie mix
- 2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
- 1 (16 oz.) tub whipped topping
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 (3 oz.) pkgs. instant chocolate pudding mix
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 Hershey chocolate bar, optional for garnish
- Mix brownie mixes according to package directions.
- Bake in a well greased 9×13 inch cake pan. Do not overbake!
- Allow to cool completely.
- Blend cream cheese, whipped topping and powdered sugar together.
- Spread half of cream cheese mixture on top of the cooled brownies.
- Blend puddings and milk together.
- Spread on top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Top with remaining half of cream cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle top with chopped walnuts.
- Decorate with chocolate shavings, if desired.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
[Adapted from Home Cookin]