This is an old Bisquick recipe and is delicious served as an appetizer or for a light lunch or brunch dish. It’s easy to make and is a good way to use up extra zucchini when it’s in season. I think the addition of oregano adds a bright herby flavor to this dish but you could omit it if you like, or substitute a different herb like thyme or savory.
ZUCCHINI ONION APPETIZER SQUARES
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp. dried oregano (optional)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- 1 cup Bisquick baking mix
- 3 cups thinly sliced unpeeled zucchini (about 3 or 4)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease bottom and sides of a 9×13″ baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, parmesan cheese, oil, parsley, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, and Bisquick.
- Stir in the zucchini and onion.
- Spread in prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned at edges
- Cut into 1¼-squares and serve warm or at room temperature.