Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. There’s something empowering about starting a new day with your family gathered around you at the table, with all the noise and chaos that that involves. Invariably, some challenge will arise — someone realizes they’ve misplaced their homework, someone doesn’t want pancakes, someone is missing a shoe, or any of the myriad things that can go wrong when you’re hurrying to get five kids ready and off to school on time. But ah…. the ensuing peace and quiet after they’ve all left is sublime. And so is the feeling that you’ve just conquered the world after solving every problem they threw at you that morning.
A Breakfast Scramble is a nice, easy breakfast to prepare on rushed mornings. Just add some toast and some cut-up fruit and you’re done with the most important meal of the day!
BREAKFAST SCRAMBLE (Feeds a family of 8)
- 1 dozen eggs, beaten
- 2 lbs. bulk sausage
- 1 pkg. frozen country-style hash brown potatoes, defrosted
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 large red or green bell pepper (or both), chopped
- In a medium frying pan, scramble the eggs until they’re just starting to solidify but are still a little wet. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, saute the onions, bell peppers and sausage together for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the hash browns and stir all together, cooking until the potatoes are done.
- Mix in the scrambled eggs and continue cooking until the eggs are heated through.