This recipe is one of those that’s been around forever under one name or another. It was given to me by one of the nurses at work. She’s been making it for years and she said it’s always a hit at her house. I’m glad I got the recipe from her because it was a hit with my family, too, though I did tweak it a little (as always). I increased the peaches, cut down on the sugar, and added vanilla extract. I can tell it’s going to become a favorite at our family get-togethers and at potlucks, too. This one is a definite keeper!
PEACHES AND CREAM CAKE
- 1½ cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 pkgs. (3.4 oz. each) cook & serve vanilla pudding (do not use instant)
- 1 cup milk
- 6 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 large (29 oz. each) cans sliced peaches
- 2 pkgs. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp. peach syrup from can
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- cinnamon-sugar, for sprinkling on top (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9×13 pyrex glass baking dish.
- Drain both cans of peaches, reserving 6 tablespoons of syrup for later.
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, and vanilla puddings together.
- Add milk, butter, and eggs.
- Beat together with an electric mixer, about 3-4 minutes.
- Spread in prepared baking dish.
- Arrange peach slices to cover top of batter.
- Beat cream cheese in a bowl until smooth.
- Add sugar, peach syrup, and vanilla, and beat until well-combined.
- Spoon over peaches, then smooth with a spatula.
- Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar over cream cheese mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
NOTE: To make cinnamon sugar, the ratio is 1/4 cup sugar to 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Store in an airtight container. For this recipe, you’ll probably only sprinkle about a couple of tablespoons or so over the top.