All the uproar over Paula Deen made me think of her Tomato Bacon Canapes. I watched her make these on her show “Paula’s Home Cooking” on the Food Network years ago. I tried it at home and have made it several times since then. It’s delicious, albeit not exactly diet-friendly. If you’re looking for a low-fat appetizer, this isn’t it but it’s so good that you just won’t care. Who doesn’t love a BLT sandwich? This has all the ingredients of a classic BLT and then some! It’s delicious and is great for the occasional cocktail party. It’s easy to make and I have to admit, every last one has been wolfed down each time I’ve served it!
NOTE: I didn’t have mini phyllo shells when I made the canapés pictured, so I used regular phyllo sheets that I cut into little squares and pressed into mini muffin cups. I layered 2 little squares into each muffin cup, brushing each layer with a little melted butter, and then prebaked them at 350º for about 8 minutes until they were a pale golden brown before proceeding with the canapé recipe. You could save yourself some work by buying the ready-to-use mini phyllo shells but if they’re unavailable in your area, just cut regular phyllo dough sheets into little squares like I did.
TOMATO BACON CANAPÉS
- 1 pkg. mini phyllo shells
- ¾ cup finely diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp. finely diced onions
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- ½ tsp. Paula Deen’s house seasoning (see recipe below)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup packed shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2-3 strips of bacon, fried crisp and finely crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place the diced tomatoes in a colander or sieve.
- Sprinkle with the onion, basil and house seasoning, and toss to coat.
- Allow to drain, stirring occasionally.
- Fill each phyllo shell with a scant tablespoon of the tomato mixture.
- Stir together the mayonnaise and mozzarella.
- Frost the top of each shell with a scant tablespoon of the mayonnaise-mozzarella mixture.
- Top each shell with a little crumbled bacon.
- Bake the filled shells for 10-12 minutes.
- Serve hot.
PAULA DEEN’S HOUSE SEASONING:
- 1 cup salt
- ¼ cup black pepper
- ¼ cup garlic powder
Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.