Summer is State Fair time in California. The State Fair makes me think of corn dogs. I love corn dogs. Corn dogs bring back warm, fuzzy memories of state fairs and carnivals past. There’s nothing like wandering around the fair taking in all the sights and smells with a corndog-on-a-stick smothered in mustard clutched in your hand.
I saw a recipe for mini corn dog muffins on the Kraft website and thought they looked like fun so I decided to try it. They turned out so good! The Kraft recipe has you poke a little cube of cheese into the muffin next to the hotdog. That actually sounds yummy to me too! I’m going to have to try that next time! I remember eating cheese dogs when I was a kid. A cheese dog was basically a hotdog-on-a-stick but with a log of gooey, melty cheese in place of the hotdog. They were oh-so-good!
If you can’t make it to the State Fair, give these tasty little muffins a try. They’re baked so they’re a healthier alternative to a deep-fried corn dog, but they’re every bit as nostalgic and addictive!
MINI CORN DOG MUFFINS
- 1 pkg. (15 oz.) cornbread muffin mix (I used Krusteaz)
- 6 beef hotdogs, each cut into 4 pieces (about 1-inch)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and grease 24 mini muffin cups.
- Prepare cornbread muffin mix according to package directions.
- Fill muffin cups half full with cornbread batter.
- Push a piece of hotdog down center of batter in each cup.
- Bake 10 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then remove from muffin pan.
- Serve warm with dijonnaise.
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp. dijon mustard
- Combine mayonnaise and mustard in a small bowl.
- Blend well with a wire whisk.