Unlike its name, French Coconut Pie did not originate in France but was actually invented in America. Wherever it originated from, it’s one of the easiest pies you’ll ever make and tastes amazing to boot! You can make your own pie crust if you want to. I have a great recipe for homemade pie crust here. Or you could just purchase a ready-made pie shell from the grocery and save yourself some work. Either way, this pie turns out delicious! It’s literally a pie to die for.
FRENCH COCONUT PIE
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 deep-dish 9-inch pie shell, purchased or homemade
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake pie crust for 18-25 minutes until lightly golden on the edges.
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Pour filling into pre-baked pie crust. Crust doesn’t have to be cool for this step.
- Bake 45-55 minutes or until lightly browned and custard is set.
- Transfer pie to a wire rack to cool completely, at least 1 hour, before serving.