Chocolate Ganache is used as a filling, a frosting, or a glaze for cakes and pastries. It’s very easy to prepare. This recipe is wonderful made with a good quality chocolate like Scharffenberger chocolate, but it’s just as good made with chocolate chips.
Make sure the chopping board, bowl, and utensils you use are completely dry because water will cause the chocolate to seize when it’s melted. Also when working with ganache, bear in mind that while it’s warm, it’s liquid and pourable, but it thickens and firms as it cools. If you need to soften it, just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds and stir.
EASY CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 8 ozs. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (or chocolate chips)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter (optional)
- Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat cream and butter until it just comes to a simmer.
- Pour hot cream over chocolate and let sit for a couple of minutes.
- Slowly stir with a wire whisk until smooth. Don’t whisk vigorously. You don’t want to whip air into it.
- This recipe makes enough ganache to cover one 9-inch cake.
- The ganache may be made up to 1 week ahead. Refrigerate in an airtight container and bring to room temperature before using.