I thought that since I posted the recipe for Bacon Cheddar Cornbread Muffins yesterday, I would post My Old Goat’s Chili con Carne recipe today. His chili is a family favorite. He seasons it with Carroll Shelby’s Chili Mix (which you fix hot or mild according to your own preference) and a packet of McCormick Chili Seasoning Mix. I asked Old Goat if he would give me his recipe so that I could post it here and he agreed to share it with me.
CHILI CON CARNE
- 2½ lbs. lean ground chuck
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- 1 pkg. Carroll Shelby’s Original Texas Brand Chili Mix
- 1 packet McCormick Mild Chili Seasoning Mix
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cans red kidney beans
- 4 cans pinto beans
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional Garnishes: chopped onions, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped scallions or chives, tortilla chips
- In a large pot, saute ground beef. Drain off excess oil.
- Stir in diced onions and tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the Carroll Shelby’s chili mix, using the spicy seasoning if desired.
- Add the McCormick chili seasoning.
- Add the diced tomatoes, kidney beans and pinto beans.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Omit the salt if you think it’s salty enough.
- Serve with optional garnishes on the side.