This is an old recipe that I’ve had for many years. I got it from one of my old cookbooks, but sadly, I don’t remember which one. Probably a Junior League cookbook. Clam Dip is rich, creamy, and utterly delicious. I haven’t tried making it with low-fat cream cheese or mayo, but I don’t see why you couldn’t if you felt inclined to try cutting down on the calories. Let me tell you though, calories or not, this dip is worth every scrumptious bite!
HOT CLAM DIP IN BREAD BOWL
- 1 (1½-lb.) unsliced round bread bowl
- 2 (8-oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- a couple of dashes tabasco sauce, or to taste (optional)
- 4 (6½-oz.) cans minced clams, drained
- 4 large green onions, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Slice top 2 inches off bread and reserve for lid.
- Cut out insides of bread, leaving a 1-inch-thick shell.
- Tear cut-out bread into pieces to use for dipping.
- With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, mayonnaise, worcestershire sauce, and tabasco (if using) in large bowl until well-blended.
- Stir in clams and green onions.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour filling into bread bowl.
- Place reserved lid on bread.
- Wrap bread tightly in 2 layers of heavy-duty foil and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake until filling is very hot and bread is crusty, about 1 hour.
- Unwrap bread and place on serving tray.
- Remove lid and lean lid against bread at angle for a pretty presentation.
- Lid can later be cut into cubes for dipping.
NOTE: If you can’t find a bread bowl, or you just don’t feel like doing the whole bread bowl thing, you can skip it (like I did in the photo above). Just beat the cream cheese, mayonnaise, worcestershire sauce, and tabasco together in a microwave-safe bowl until smooth. Microwave for 3 minutes or until cream cheese mixture is hot, stopping to stir every 30 seconds or so. Mix in drained clams and green onions. Microwave 30 seconds more. Stir well and serve with sliced baguette bread for dipping.