This is a healthy and delicious salad. The dressing has very little oil which makes it less fattening than other dressings, albeit rather thin. If you want a thicker, creamier dressing, try adding a half cup of plain greek yogurt.
Sometimes I add crumbled bacon to this salad which makes it really yummy. After all, everything is better with bacon, right? For a heartier, more filling salad, you could toss in some chopped grilled chicken.
SANTA FE CHOPPED SALAD
- 1 large head romaine lettuce or 2 romaine hearts, washed and roughly chopped
- 2 small (2.25 oz.) cans sliced black olives, drained
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 can (15.25 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1½ cups loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup tortilla strips
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- half of a small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Place chopped lettuce in a bowl.
- Arrange remaining ingredients in rows on top of lettuce.
- Just before serving, drizzle with Cilantro Citrus Vinaigrette.
- Toss and serve.
CILANTRO CITRUS VINAIGRETTE
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, loosely packed
- ¼ cup orange juice
- juice from 2 limes (about 3½ – 4 Tbsp.)
- 2 Tbsp. honey or agave nectar
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil (can substitute canola oil)
- Place cilantro, orange juice, lime juice, honey, cumin, salt and pepper in bowl of food processor or blender and pulse until well-combined.
- Then gradually stream in the oil while processing until oil is completely incorporated. Dressing is thin and light.