I love smoked salmon. It’s delicious made with pasta or turned into a dip for crackers. But my all-time favorite way to eat smoked salmon is with bagels and cream cheese. These canapés are a take-off on the bagel and cream cheese idea. Instead of bagels, I used english cucumbers for a base. I made our family’s traditional cream cheese filling, but I substituted dill for the green onions.
If you’re wondering where to get smoked salmon, Costco carries a Norwegian brand called Foppen that is just wonderful because besides being delicious, the salmon is already thinly sliced and ready to use. The package comes with plain, peppered, and dilled slices. I cut each slice into strips and then roll each strip into a cone to make the little rosette shapes. It’s really easy and looks so pretty on your appetizer table.
SMOKED SALMON CUCUMBER CANAPÉS
- 1 lb. smoked salmon, very thinly sliced
- 2 english cucumbers
- 1 pkg. (8 ozs.) cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 4 tbsps. fresh dill, chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- With a fork, score lines down the skin of the cucumbers. Slice scored cucumbers into rounds.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, mayonnaise, dill, and salt until well combined.
- Pipe a little cream cheese mixture on top of each cucumber slice.
- With a sharp paring knife, cut each slice of smoked salmon into strips approximately ¾ inch wide.
- Roll each strip into a rosette shape.
- Top each cucumber slice with a salmon rosette.
- If not serving immediately, chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.