My sister, Helen, got the brilliant idea that we should all do this toxin-eliminating, inflammation-reducing, cleansing diet called the Whole 30 program. The program actually sounds really good. It’s supposed to restore a healthy digestive tract, balance your immune system, and raise your metabolism.
Old Goat Honey and I decided that we would do it! It could only help us, not hurt us, and Lord knows we could both stand to lose more than a few pounds. Plus the dramatic benefits of the program sound great! Our resolve firmed up as we read accounts of “consistently high energy levels, improved athletic performance, better sleep, improved focus and mental clarity, and a sunnier disposition.” But that’s about as far as we got on the program. Somehow, we just can’t seem to get started!
ME: Let’s start the program on Monday.
OLD GOAT: We’re supposed to take Bashful and her friend out to dinner on Tuesday. Maybe we should start it on Friday.
ME: We can’t! I have a Mexican potluck at work on Friday!
OLD GOAT: Well, we’re going out to lunch with your Aunt and her boyfriend on Saturday. Maybe we should start it next Monday instead.
And that’s pretty much how it’s been going. Helen has been successfully doing the program and bugging me everyday to get started on it, while we keep guiltily putting it off for one reason or another. Sigh…….. We’ll get started on it eventually. I know we will……..eventually……
In the meantime, in an effort to at least try to have something healthy on the dinner table tonight, I made this Vietnamese Shredded Chicken Salad. The only “questionable” ingredient in it is the white sugar, but I don’t see why you couldn’t use agave syrup or some other healthy sugar substitute in its place (though I haven’t tried it myself). Also, I used shredded rotisserie chicken which made it really easy.
VIETNAMESE SHREDDED CHICKEN SALAD
(Recipe from the November 2000 issue of Saveur magazine)
- 2 fresh Thai red chiles (can substitute serrano chiles)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. white sugar
- 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp. Vietnamese fish sauce (nuó’c mam)
- 3 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 4 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh mint
- freshly ground black pepper
- cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Cut chiles in half, remove seeds, then mince.
- Place chiles in a large bowl.
- Add garlic, sugar, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, fish sauce, oil, and onion.
- Mix until sugar dissolves.
- Add chicken, napa cabbage, carrots, and mint.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and toss well.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired.
NOTE: No. 1 got the idea to sprinkle chopped peanuts on top of the salad and loved it! He and Old Goat think the peanuts make the salad even better!