I needed a side-dish to take to a barbecue. Well what could be better than cornbread and a veggie salad? Enter Cornbread Trifle. This recipe has a lot of my favorite components for barbecue side dishes. Plus it looks so beautiful all layered up in your trifle bowl. It’s guaranteed to wow everyone with its gorgeous looks and just wait till you taste it! It’s a guaranteed crowd pleaser for sure!
This recipe makes a lot so you’ll need a large trifle bowl. Otherwise, be prepared to have some leftover veggies (which are great tossed with chopped lettuce and ranch dressing the next day).
- 1 box cornbread mix (I used Krusteaz Honey Cornbread mix)
- sour cream (amount according to milk called for on cornbread package)
- ¼ cup milk
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, depending on how spicy you want it
- 1 lb. thick sliced bacon
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup ranch salad dressing
- 1½ cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ small red onion or sweet vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cans (15-oz. each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15-oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 8 ozs. smoked gouda cheese, grated (If you can’t get smoked gouda, you could use smoked cheddar or even just plain sharp cheddar cheese)
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
Make the Cornbread:
- Preheat oven as per package directions and grease an 8 or 9-inch baking pan.
- Cut off the stem end of the jalapeños, then remove the inner membrane and seeds.
- Finely mince the jalapeños.
- Prepare batter following the directions behind the box, but replace the milk with sour cream to make the cornbread moister.
- Add ¼ cup milk and the minced jalapeños to the rest of the ingredients for the cornbread batter.
- Bake according to the time and temperature directed on the package.
- Turn out onto wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Cut cooled cornbread into approximately 1-inch cubes.
Prepare the Bacon:
- Lay the bacon slices on a foil covered sheet pan.
- Bake at 400ºF for 15 minutes or until brown and crispy.
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and cool.
- Stack the crispy bacon and cut them into ½-inch pieces.
- Set aside ¼ cup of bacon pieces for garnish.
Make the Dressing:
- Place the mayonnaise and ranch dressing in a bowl.
- Whisk together until smooth and well blended.
Prepare the Veggies:
- In a bowl, combine tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, corn, black beans, and cilantro.
- Stir to combine well.
Assemble the Trifle Layers:
- Place half the cornbread on the bottom of a large trifle bowl. Press down lightly.
- Top with half the veggies.
- Next half the cheese.
- Then half the bacon. Don’t touch the ¼ cup you reserved for garnish.
- End with half the dressing.
- Repeat the layers a second time ending in dressing.
- Garnish the top with the green onions and reserved ¼ cup bacon.
- Chill in refrigerator at least an hour before serving.
[Adapted from 52 Ways to Cook]