Have you ever tried Tzatziki sauce? Tzatziki is a yogurt based sauce that is very popular in Greece. Rich and creamy, Tzatziki sauce is typically served cold with grilled meat. It is also often served as a dipping sauce.
Tzatziki is best made with Greek yogurt, but if you can’t get Greek yogurt, you can use regular yogurt. It will have a runnier consistency but as long as you don’t mind that, it’s fine. Alternatively, you could make your own “greek” yogurt by taking a piece of cheesecloth, folding it in half, and then in half again so you have 4 layers. Lay the cheesecloth in a bowl, pour the yogurt into the center of the cheesecloth, then pick up the 4 corners and tie them together. Hang the cheesecloth bag over the bowl for about 2 hours or so. This will drain the water out and thicken the yogurt giving it a more “greek yogurt” consistency.
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- ½ English cucumber
- 3-5 cloves garlic, depending on how big your cloves are
- 1 tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh dill (or 1 tbsp. dried)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the greek yogurt into a medium bowl.
- Slice the cucumber into thin disks, then stack the disks 3 or 4 high, and cut each stack into quarters. You could also grate the cucumber, if you prefer.
- Add the cucumber to the yogurt.
- Finely mince the garlic and add to the yogurt. Start with 3 cloves first, and add more if you want it more garlicky.
- Add the lemon juice, dill, salt, and pepper, then stir all together well.
- Cover with sarap wrap and chill in refrigerator until ready to use.