It’s been kind of cold lately and chilly weather always makes me think of soup when I start planning on what to make for dinner. Who doesn’t love a nice, steaming bowl of hot soup on a cold wintry evening?
This is a delicious, hearty, crockpot soup that’s the perfect choice to feed the family when you’ve just come home from work and are too tired to fuss with dinner. I learned this recipe from one of my officemates, a sweet lady named Janet. The recipe is great because I usually have all the ingredients I need sitting in my pantry which makes it a breeze to throw together. You could also make this in a soup pot on the stove if you don’t feel like lugging out the old crockpot. And best of all, this recipe is completely gluten free so my daughter, Spunky, can eat it too. Everyone who’s tried this soup loves it. And it really goes over big when you have a houseful of hungry kids!
- 1½ lbs. ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 (15 oz.) cans whole kernel corn, do not drain
- 2 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 1 (15 oz.) can red kidney beans, do not drain
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 (2.25 oz.) cans sliced black olives, drained
- 1 cup water
- 3 packets taco seasoning mix
- Brown ground beef and onions in skillet.
- Drain ground beef and transfer to a crockpot.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir together well.
- Set on high and cook for 1 hour or until hot.
- Serve with sliced avocado, sour cream, grated cheese, sliced green onions, and tortilla chips.
NOTE: If the soup seems too thick, you can stir in a little water to thin it out.