New Year’s Eve for me means time for new appetizers. Every New Year’s Eve, I make a whole bunch of savory appetizers and bite-sized sweet treats. I don’t bother fixing dinner or creating a fancy sit-down meal. Instead, I start putting out different appetizers and canapés at around 7 p.m. for people to graze on all night long. Everyone just wanders up to the dining table and eats whatever they want to whenever they feel like eating.
I usually make some tried-and-true favorites, but this is also the time that I look for new appetizer and dip recipes to try. These Onion Cheese Puffs were one of my newbies. I found the recipe in an old issue of Saveur magazine and thought they sounded good. They were so easy to make and smelled amazing while they were baking! Of all the new appetizers I tried for our New Year’s Eve celebration this year, I liked these the best. Definitely a keeper!
ONION CHEESE PUFFS
- ½ small sweet yellow onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices of white bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix onion, mayonnaise, parmesan cheese, and parsley in a medium bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a 1″ round cookie cutter, cut 4 rounds from each slice of bread.
- Place bread rounds on a cookie sheet and bake, without turning, until lightly toasted, about 6-7 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Spread about 1 tsp. onion mixture onto each round, then sprinkle with more parmesan.
- Brown under broiler for 1–2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.