It’s apple season and Apple Hill is open! Apple Hill is a favorite spot for families to visit in California. Located in El Dorado County about an hour away from Sacramento, the area is comprised of fruit orchards, tree farms, bakeries, breweries, wineries, and restaurants. Visitors can pick their own apples or buy them, along with other fresh fruits and vegetables, from the various country stores that abound. The best apple cider I’ve ever had comes from Apple Hill. You can also buy all kinds of fresh-made pies and pastries. Walking into a bakery at Apple Hill smells like walking into your grandmother’s kitchen. The scents of baking wafting through the air immediately start your mouth watering. There are also several very good restaurants where you can stop to have a bite to eat. A visit to Apple Hill is always a fun time guaranteed. Don’t forget to bring a cooler to cart your frozen pies and goodies home!
Last weekend we brought home a sack of apples. Looking at the ton of apples littering the kitchen counter, I thought to myself, “Well, looks an apple cake is in order.” This apple cake recipe is very easy to make and like its name says, turns out a super moist cake. You can use your favorite baking apple or try a combination of different kinds of apples. The cake is oh-so-yummy! Give it a whirl and you’ll see what I mean.
SUPER MOIST APPLE WALNUT CAKE
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsps. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup sugar, for topping
- 1 tsp. cinnamon, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- Stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and continue beating until fluffy.
- Beat the flour mixture into the batter until just blended.
- Fold in the apples and walnuts.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and spread evenly with a spatula.
- In a small bowl, make the topping by combining the ¼ cup sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon.
- Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar evenly over top of cake.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.