Fall is definitely here! I can’t believe how quickly our triple-digit weather has turned nippy and cold. The leaves on some of the trees are already starting to turn into glorious shades of gold and copper. It’s great weather for snuggling in front of a cozy fire with a bowl of hot soup and a little basket of warm, cheesy biscuits.
These biscuits are the easiest thing to make because you start with a baking mix and just add three other ingredients. They make a great little accompaniment to a hearty bowl of soup for dinner; but I’ve also served them with eggs for breakfast. If you buy the little packages of already diced ham, and pre-bagged shredded cheddar cheese, they couldn’t be any simpler to throw together. The secret is not to overmix the dough or the biscuits will come out tough. Also, when I move them to the baking sheet after cutting them out, I place them with their sides touching each other. This helps them to rise up higher which makes for a thick, hearty biscuit that’s chock full of ham and cheese.
HAM AND CHEDDAR BISCUITS
- 4½ cups Bisquick baking mix
- 8 oz. diced ham
- 1½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Measure baking mix into a bowl.
- Add ham and cheese and toss together until well combined.
- Pour in buttermilk and knead just a few times until dough comes together.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Pat and shape dough into a 1-inch thick circle.
- Cut out 12 rounds with a biscuit cutter. Make sure to cut straight up and down. Don’t twist the biscuit cutter or the biscuits won’t rise as high.
- Place biscuits on a cookie sheet making sure they’re touching each other.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve warm from oven.