My Old Goat made his special Chili con Carne for dinner tonight. He doesn’t really cook but he does have a small repertoire of dishes that he makes when I’m not around and kitchen duty falls on his shoulders. He makes a mean grilled cheese sandwich, his Chili con Carne is really yummy, and he’s especially proud of his burgers. He keeps tweaking his burger recipe trying “to perfect it” as he says, which is really funny to me because I think it’s already perfect as it is.
Anyway, I was actually home this evening but Old Goat suddenly got a hankering to make Chili so I told him to go ahead and knock himself out. I could always use a break from fixing dinner. Not that I got a break. Instead I ended up making some Bacon Cheddar Cornbread Muffins to serve with his chili. These muffins are a great accompaniment to chilis, barbecues, even soups. They’re really easy to make because you start with a boxed cornbread mix. Give them a try at your next chili cook-off. I promise you’ll love ’em!
BACON CHEDDAR CORNBREAD MUFFINS
(Makes 16-18 muffins)
- 1 (15-oz.) box Krusteaz honey cornbread mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 3/4 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Grease muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together milk, oil, egg and full box cornbread mix until moistened.
- Stir in corn, bacon, cheese and green onion.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling 2/3 full.
- Bake 18-20 minutes.