You can substitute two 10-oz. packages of frozen broccoli for the fresh broccoli if you want. Also, the original recipe called for Hi Ho crackers which made the most delicious, crunchy topping, but I can’t find Hi Ho crackers in my neighborhood anymore. I don’t know if they stopped selling it in the West Coast or if the product has actually been discontinued. If you can’t find Hi Ho crackers, you can substitute Ritz crackers or any other buttery round crackers. The topping will still be wonderful!
- 1½ lbs. broccoli florets
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 roll Hi Ho crackers, crushed
- ½ cup melted butter
- Boil broccoli in unsalted water until very tender; drain well.
- In a bowl, mix mayonnaise, celery soup, eggs, cheese and onions.
- Combine broccoli and mayonnaise mixture; pour into 7×11 rectangular pyrex dish.
- Sprinkle top with crushed Hi Ho crackers and drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake in 350ºF oven for 60 minutes or until topping is well toasted.
NOTE: Double the recipe for a large (9×13) rectangular pyrex baking dish, except the topping won’t need so much melted butter. ¾ cup should be enough.
This dish may be prepared the day before and refrigerated overnight. Just top with crackers and butter right before baking the next day.