This pork chop recipe is one that’s been around for years. If you just Google “slow cooker pork chops and hash browns,” you’re bound to come across a few variations of it. You can make it with cream of mushroom soup, O’Brien style potatoes, a different kind of cheese, the possibilities are many and varied.
This version was given to me by one of my officemates years ago and I’ve fixed it this way ever since. It’s easy and delicious. The best part is I have one of those slow cookers that lets you brown the meat right in it so I don’t have to dirty a separate skillet. Toss together a green salad and dinner’s ready in 2 shakes of a leg…. or 2 shakes of a dressing bottle.
SLOW COOKER PORK CHOPS WITH CREAMY HASH BROWNS
- 6 pork chops
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pkg. (30 oz.) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cans (2.8 oz) French-fried onions
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, brown chops in oil on both sides and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the soup, milk, sour cream and 1 cup of cheese.
- Stir in the hash browns and one can of onions; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer hash brown mixture to a greased slow cooker and lay pork chops on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Sprinkle top with remaining onions and cheese.
- Cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.