This “miracle” cake recipe has been around for a while. It’s low in fat and incredibly easy to prepare. All it takes is two ingredients – cake mix and diet soda. You can choose any flavor of cake mix you like and combine it with any flavor of soda. You could do chocolate cake and coke, spice cake and orange soda, lemon cake and 7-Up, yellow cake and cream soda, chocolate cake and Dr. Pepper, white cake and Sprite, the possibilities are endless!
The cake turns out light and fluffy, though depending on which cake mix or soda you use, it can get a little gummy. It could also be prone to cracking on top though this is easily covered up with frosting. I decided to try making a cake that was not only low-fat but sugar -free as well so I used a Pillsbury Sugar-Free cake mix. The cake turned out great and everyone loved it!
I made the cake pictured for my daughter’s birthday. I should note that the reason the cake is so big and tall is because I baked two cakes instead of splitting one cake in half. Hey, since it’s low-fat AND sugar-free, that means we get to eat twice as much. Don’t you agree?
LOW-FAT SUGAR-FREE YELLOW CAKE WITH FRESH STRAWBERRY FILLING
- 1 box sugar-free Pillsbury yellow cake mix
- 1 can (12 ozs.) diet 7-Up
- Preheat oven to 325º F and spray a 9×13 baking pan with Pam.
- With electric mixer on medium speed, beat cake mix and 7-Up for 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared baking pan.
- Bake 34-38 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While cake is baking, prepare filling.
- 2 pints fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsp. Splenda No-Calorie Sweetener
- Hull, wash and slice strawberries.
- Toss in a bowl with Splenda and set aside.
Assembly and Frosting:
- 1 16-oz. tub sugar-free Cool Whip
- Allow cake to cool completely, then split in half lengthwise.
- Place one cake half on serving plate and spread top with Cool Whip.
- Spoon strawberries over Cool Whip and then top with second half of cake.
- Frost top and sides of cake with remaining Cool Whip.
OMG! I will try this one for sure!!! I love your great recipes Pinks!