I created this sauce to serve with my Coffee Panna Cotta but it could be used as a sauce for ice cream, chocolate soufflé, pound cake, or anything else you might want to serve with a dessert sauce. The important thing to remember when making this is to keep stirring while it cooks so it doesn’t burn.
COFFEE CREAM SAUCE
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 7 ozs. (half a can) condensed milk (this is about 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp.)
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. instant espresso or coffee granules
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- Place all ingredients except the butter into a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring continuously with a wire whisk, until mixture thickens and begins to boil. Let it boil for a minute or two while stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, drop in the butter, and stir until butter is fully incorporated.
- Cool completely before serving.
- You can store this sauce for up to a week in the refrigerator but it will thicken a little when it’s chilled. If you find it too thick, stir in a little cream or milk to thin it to the pourable consistency you want.
- Substitute half-and-half or whole milk for the whipping cream if you prefer a sauce that’s a little less rich.