Pilar is one of my best friends. We like to say we were “born” friends. Our dads met and became friends in elementary school and remained friends all throughout their lives. Both our dads are gone now, but our friendship remains steadfast. Now our children are “born friends,” too, and are carrying on the tradition of friendship. Besides being a kind, caring person and a fiercely loyal friend, Pilar is also an amazing cook. She’s shared quite a few of her recipes with me over the years. She taught me to make this 2-ingredient beef brisket recipe that’s so yummy, you won’t believe how easy it is!
The brisket is seasoned very simply with Paula Deen’s house seasoning, then covered in foil, and baked on a low heat setting for several hours. What comes out of the oven is a delicious beef that’s melt-in-your-mouth tender. Sometimes, the beef ends up swimming in it’s own juice and sometimes not. When the pan is filled with drippings, I turn it into a delicious gravy. If the beef releases no drippings, I serve it plain or topped with a compound butter, like Sriracha Butter.
PILAR’S SLOW-BRAISED BEEF BRISKET
- 1 slab beef brisket (however many pounds you want to cook)
- Paula Deen’s house seasoning, to taste
- Preheat oven to 280ºF.
- Place brisket directly into a roasting pan – no rack needed.
- Season both sides with Paula Deen’s house seasoning, to taste.
- Cover roasting pan tightly with tin foil.
- Place pan in oven and bake for 8 hours.
- Slice meat against the grain and serve.
PAULA DEEN’S HOUSE SEASONING:
- 1 cup salt
- ¼ cup black pepper
- ¼ cup garlic powder
Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.