No. 1 decided he was going to try the South Beach diet. In an effort to help him, I decided to make him a South Beach friendly breakfast. I found a recipe for these little mini frittatas on a site called Kalyn’s Kitchen and decided to give them a try. They turned out pretty good! They’re easy to do and make a great grab-and-go breakfast when you’re in a hurry. They make perfect little snacks, too. You can make them with egg substitute like I did, or use real eggs or even egg whites. You can also add a variety of meats and vegetables. It’s a very versatile recipe and the muffins are really tasty. When you’re pressed for time and rushing to get ready for work on a busy morning, it sure is a big help to be able to reach into the fridge and grab a couple of these for breakfast!
(Makes 12 muffins)
- 1 carton egg substitute (you can use real eggs, beaten, if you prefer)
- salt, to taste
- 1-2 cups grated low fat cheese (sharp cheddar or a blend of cheddar/Jack cheese, use less cheese if using meat)
- 3 green onions, diced
- Optional meats: diced Canadian bacon, turkey bacon, lean ham, or crumbled cooked turkey sausage
- Optional vegetables: chopped red pepper, blanched broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, spinach, etc. (using veggies will reduce the fat content)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- In the bottom of the muffin cups layer diced meat, if using, vegetables, if using, cheese and green onions. Fill the muffin cups about 2/3 full, leaving room to pour a little egg around the other ingredients.
- Pour egg substitute into each muffin cup until it is 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and stir slightly with a fork.
- Bake 25 minutes or until muffins have risen and are slightly browned and set.
NOTE: Egg Muffins will keep for more than a week in the refrigerator without freezing. The muffins can be frozen and reheated in the microwave, but freezing makes them release water when they’re microwaved so it’s better if you can just keep them refrigerated.
Will try this one for sure!!!